No matter the type of business you have, you’ll need a website for it. Just consider that 70-80% of potential customers go online first to check out a business before making a purchase. And now imagine that a potential customer tries to find more information about you but doesn’t find anything online. Could this build distrust in your business?
If you want to build trust and share information with your customers, building a website is a must. For some this may seem like a daunting task, but you’re in luck as we’ve put together a guide explaining the what, why, how and even 7 easy steps for building your own business website.
What do I need to create a website for my business?
The three basic elements that are required to create a website for your business are a domain, a hosting server, and the content of the website itself. This last part can be managed through a platform called a Content Management System (CMS). Here’s a brief description of each of these elements:
- Domain. A website’s domain is the address that visitors use to access it. This name is unique and cannot be changed once it has been created, so you should think of a domain name that is related to your business and easy to remember.
- Hosting. The content on your business website must be stored on a server. Every time you have a visitor to your website, content from the server is sent to the visitor's device. Web hosting is a service offered by a specialized web company that allows websites to be stored on a server.
- Content. Website content can be static or dynamic. This means that with time, it can change (e.g. limited promotions) or it could always stay the same (e.g. product terms and conditions). The most common and convenient way to create, modify, and/or maintain your website’s content is through the use of a content management system (CMS). A CMS is an online platform that allows you to create, add, modify, and eliminate content elements on your business’s website.
What are my options for creating a website for my business?
There are different routes to take when creating a website for your business. One of the ways is to contact a web design agency or a freelancer who can explain the process, guide you along the way, and do the majority of the work. Working directly with an agency or freelancer for your business website creation can provide you with a lot of options for personalization and custom elements. However, it typically is the more expensive option since you’ll need to pay the agency/freelancer fees, web hosting fees and any additional tools/platforms you may use.
If you’re familiar with website building, a more budget-friendly option is to create a website using Wordpress. In this process, you would need to buy a domain from a domain register, hire a hosting service, install a CMS, like Wordpress, as your server, and finally add content to your new site through the CMS. Wordpress offers dozens of default website templates to build your website, some of which only require adding the text and images you need! This option, however, can be somewhat difficult for those new to website building and may need more time to learn about the system configuration.A third option for creating your business’s website is through using an online website creation platform. This option is less expensive than hiring a web designer and easier than doing everything manually! Check out some of the top website building platforms available to you and which steps you should take to build your business website quickly with ease.
How to use a website builder
Ready to build your website? The first step is to choose the website builder that best suits your needs. Some of the most popular include:
- Wix. This site is known for being the most beginner-friendly website builder and has several templates and tools to personalize your website, such as its drag-and-drop interface. Its biggest weakness, however, is that its e-commerce tools are not the strongest on the market.
- Squarespace. This is another great platform to choose for building your website. It offers several templates and products similar to its competitor Wix, however it stands out with several unique features and customizations that can be useful to your business website, such as a more sophisticated e-commerce system.
7 steps to creating a website for your business
Now that you’ve selected the platform you’d like to use, it’s time to build your website! Get started by following the steps below:
- Create an account. Visit your chosen platform’s website and select the “create an account” option. Enter the information they require and complete the process.
- Select a domain. As we mentioned before, the domain is the address your clients will use to find your business online. (Ours is www.SaberEsPoder.com!). Domains vary in price based on popularity and should be unique. Look for one that fits your budget, represents your brand, and above all, is available.
- Select a template. Website builders offer a wide variety of templates that can be customized to suit your business needs. Most of the time, these templates are organized by the business industry and specific features. Take into account how you want your business to be perceived and select the template that best works for you.
- Add content. Once you’ve selected your template, you’ll have the option to customize it by adding content that promotes your business. While your website content can vary depending on your business, the essential elements you should include on your website are 1) a description of your business, 2) your products or services, 3) your business’s contact information, and 4) your business location (if there is a physical address). You can also personalize your content offering through the use of product catalogs, a product menu, photo galleries, or any other type of information you deem necessary.
- Preview your new site before you publish. Website builders allow you to see how your website will look before it’s published on the Internet. Be sure that the design and any information you share is set up correctly and edit if necessary.
- Select a publishing plan. When the website for your business is ready to be published, your platform will offer you various hosting plans for your site. Typically, monthly subscription plans are more expensive than annual ones, however choose the option that best suits your business needs and budget. Once you decide on your plan, enter your payment information and purchase!
- Enjoy your new website! Your site will be available to the public immediately after you pay for service. Get the word out and share it with clients, friends, family and even on your social media pages. Remember, the more people visit your business website, the better your search engine rankings will perform.
We hope this guide has been helpful to you in building your website and reaching your business goals. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us! Our team is always available to assist you with any questions you may have regarding any of the topics shared today.